Sunday, October 18, 2015

Using language to say anything with consideration.



While listening to many people talk, confront, or find solutions, I have developed my own set of what I consider harmonious initiations and statements. These are ways of communicating that doesn’t involve being direct, confrontational, potentially rude, or inconsiderate. To start, I believe there are ways to state anything on one’s mind; whether addressing a potentially radical idea, a conflicting statement, revealing a harsh truth, or a statement of extreme sensitivity. These are some of the phrases and initiations I use to harmonize situations or state any idea to another with consideration to their emotions.

I believe being not too sure of oneself or too direct can create conflict, therefore I utilize words that can be more exceptionally calming to potentially conflicting arguments. The words “Perhaps…”, “Maybe…”, “I believe…”, “I suggest…”, “It’s possible…”, “I would like to say…”, “I hope I can say…”, “It is a possibility that…, “It’s my personal opinion that…”, can be used to introduce an idea, topic, or statement that can show that is one of uncertain while also helping a person to be honest and open to potentially learn by the correction of others. Using these initiations can also demonstrates how one has no desire to be ignorant but instead shows respect and an intention to keep a harmonious atmosphere while being considerate to the ideas and emotions of others.

Other phrases that can help show respect or sympathy to another, can be phrases like: “I’m sorry to hear that.”, “That is most unfortunate.”, “I am flattered.” Showing sympathy and respect, it is likely that one will naturally be open to tell you more because of a demonstration of understanding and considering their emotions.

If discussing ideas, one can state their idea without insulting the ideas of another. For example: “I agree that…”, “I agree with you on…But I believe….”, “Your ideas are very interesting, but on the other hand my ideas are….”, “That is a good idea, my ideas are…” This allows one to show respect to another while also considering their emotions. I believe it’s important to work together without insulting the intellects of others.

In a discussion when one wants to announce a statement that could be potentially damaging or controversial, one can introduce a statement or idea in a way where it is seen as harmless or considerate to the emotions of another, for example: “If I may say… I would like to say…”, “If I can talk out of context for a moment, I would like to say…”, or even, “If I could talk out of my butt for a second, I would like to say…”This allows for one to be honest or to state any radical idea, yet also have consideration for the emotions of others.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment