Thursday, February 19, 2015

Could modern entertainment be used for mass social engineering?





Looking back at music and movies from the 1920s all the way up to modern time, I took notice of the variations in themes, aesthetics, feelings, etiquettes, storytelling, level of violence, amount of action, language, relation to what is considered innocent, humor, originality, level of creativity… etc. I took notice when I examined modern music, which would be considered unbearable, immoral, and destructive by society in the past, I thought to myself what if the big name music producers, or even some movie studios, were utilizing social engineering to make a product society of their design? I guess an example of this in relation to music is that we can see a large spread of westernized pop culture music spread throughout Asia, predominantly in South Korea. In my defense, I have nothing against modern movies or music regardless how inappropriate or immoral it can be. I’m tolerant or a fan of any form of creativity. However, I think it’s only right to question this idea; even though this topic seems to follows more under the realm of conspiracy.  Nevertheless, I question how entertainment today could impact our mentality and behavior in the future? Where would such entertainment lead us? Is it possible that it could be used for political purposes or to spread destructive or maybe even perhaps meaningful messages? In all honesty, I’m not completely sure how music producers or movie studios publicized music and movies; however, I dare ask the question if it has the ability to shape society relating to the way we think or behave or if it could be the product of some sort of mass social engineering? It’s a question I think is worth thinking about even if there is no relation to any form of social engineering.

No comments:

Post a Comment