Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Use of Structure


I’m currently taking a college math course to graduate after the next semester. I feel the teacher I’m currently taking in this course does little to address the needs of their student’s learning behaviors. I’m sure some people could think of this as a rant, however I think I could do better by apply a more simplified and more necessary learning structure.

It’s my opinion, that most difficult subjects require some form of learning structures. I think such structures should try to do the best it can to cater the needs of all types of learning forms (hands on, visual, auditory or perceptual learner… etc). Here is an example of using structure using my college algebra course:
  1. Present an actual life problem. This will help students become interested.
  2. Introduce the solution and math formula for the life problem.
  3. Write out steps in which one can use to solve the math equation. I think both technical and simplified terms should be used for steps.  
  4. Practice with simple problems. Once everyone understands the simple problems, move to harder problems. Make sure students have some time to digest the material.
  5. Repetition and practice.

I think this technique of using structure could be helpful with any subject. Once an individual learns a subject using actual life situations or more personalized techniques, they can find ways to apply it in their everyday life.



1 comment:

  1. Yes, the use of structure is very beneficial for both parties: students learn and teachers are satisfied to know their students could actually understand.
    Unfortunately, that's not always the case. Not all professors have a teaching structure. Seeing that it is college and we are adults, most professors would believe that their students should know most of the material, especially depending on the subject.
    If no structure is present, it is the responsibility of the students to find one. This isn't high school where things are spoon fed to us. We have to take responsibility for our own grades.
    It may be hard but that's usually how it goes.

    ReplyDelete