Thursday, December 4, 2014

My Personal Belief On Religion


Being that I am of the Roman Catholic and of Cristian faith, I will discuss on behalf of this religion. Foremost, I will have to say my mother is a catholic extremist; therefore, I’ve seen my own religion from multiple perspectives. A casual person, who I will refer to a laid back person, or a person of comfort faith. I would say sees this religion as more of a hobby or a tool. Seeing a person of full faith, which would be an example of that similar to a priest, is more like a living representation of the bible. I will also conclude that this person is very pacifistic, biblical, insightful and is easy to talk to and relate for advice. The extremist on the other hand, like my mom, lives on a hypocritical, confrontational, controversial and erratic level of faith and worship. Extremists see religion as a confrontation, a literal translation, and very condemning to those who do not believe as they do. That being said, I have my own different views on religion. Part of this has to do with my philosophy of life. If I may, I would like to state that if there’s a possibility to go to heaven, I believe it will be achieved by ethical association and behavior. Another way to state this would be to treat others accordingly and behave in a peaceful, rational, and in harmonious way with others; in my own words, do what is right and common sense and for the balance of social harmony. I think this is being defined as an ethicalist, much like the teachings of one of my favorite philosophers Confucius. Moreover, I personally believe there is the possibility of a God and the possibility of dyeing and becoming nonexistent. The reason for this is because I adhere to my scientific view of life. I share a scientific view for the reason that people, when they’re born, have to be taught religion. They aren’t born with it. Therefore, people have to in a sense learn life on their own without understanding their purpose, why they exist or grasp the concept of what is reality and life beyond death. Moving on, I also believe that God is everywhere and not in just the church. I see the church as a place of worship and a place for rituals in adoration of God. Nevertheless understanding the Judaic origins, the old testament, the changes in the church’s history (power and social control), I have concluded that it’s not the all-inclusive way to define oneself and be one with the creator; therefore, I respect the church and it’s values and traditions. If i may add, I also enjoy participation in the church, because it gives me a sense of peace, unity, tradition I can relate to and a sense of being in a place that makes me feel closer to the creator. I also have a large admiration for the bible. I want to include that I believe the bible should be something everyone should read, regardless of religion or if one believes in God or not. The bible offers many lessons that people in society can heavily benefit from, let-alone learn from history and not repeat likewise mistakes. Moving on, I see religion, as somewhat of a crutch one often needs in life. I think it’s proper to experience life for oneself with a union with the divine and not in life long dedication for divinity. The reason I state this is because the purpose of free will, given to us as stated in the bible, would be meaningless if we had to live to worship a God. I would also like to include that one should still include God in their lives regardless if they believe he exists or not, because God is the embodiment and representation of what's good and righteous. In addition, controversially, the bible itself is incomplete and reveals very little detail of the origins of humanity. I believe by understanding humanity’s origins we will have further knowledge on our purpose in life, a greater understanding of reality and life after death.

However, referring to the question, I don’t think I would change anything about my religion or any religion for that matter. I personally believe by changing a religion or the way one conducts rituals in their religion would change or alter the view of a religion which I believe could lead to secularization. I prefer a religion to preserve and cherish tradition. By doing so, I believe it creates a foundation for an ancient and traditional aesthetic which moves and changes people; or defined in the book, reinstitutionalizes and gives meaning to others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment