Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Using Language with More Accuracy


I spent some time to think and analyze how we speak our language. It seems a manifest (obvious) function is that what one says will always solicit some sort of response. I have thought of the way we ask questions and provide with answers. Upon thinking about this, I discovered something interesting that has changed the way I speak. If a person answers with uncertainty, they have the possibility to reveal a lack of knowledge, seem as if they’re lying, seem ignorant or portray arrogance. I discovered by using the words perhaps, I believe, maybe, it seems, I guess, and I think before we state a response we’re uncertain of, we can express a statements that is both humbling and educational; giving a person the ability to learn from others without a negative portrayal. I think this can help in relationships, social interaction and personal honesty.

Another thing I learned is by stating sources of a topic, I found myself to be more credible and portrayed as a person with higher intellectual status. Also to preserve respect and professionalism, I found it best to find rational ways to state counter arguments. For example: "In regards to what Mr. Leeroy jenkins believes, Mr. Android Abraham Lincoln believes this way.... etc". I also find it a good idea to never be direct, always find uplifting ways to state or counter outargue things; such as, "Your opinions are very interesting; however, I think...etc." By doing this, one can keep professionalism while respecting the ideas of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment