Saturday, December 20, 2014

“The Rollercoaster Called Life”, My Solutions to Coping with Depression and Anxiety.


Nobody loves me. I’m never good enough. Nothing will ever get better. If I die will anyone miss me? Why was I ever born? Does any of these sound familiar? It’s obvious if you think this way you’re going through some tough and emotional times. I would coin it as being part of the rollercoaster called life. It happens to everyone and the results could lead to self-harm or the physical or emotional harm of others. I found many ways to prevent depression and anxiety. When one is depressed or filled with anxiety I found it best to not take actions on behalf of emotions. This includes saying things I don't mean or might later regret. If one lets emotions run their life, actions based on one’s emotions can lead to disaster, possible harm, or consequence. Most often when I’m depressed, I keep it to myself. I rather not burden others with problems of my own. Instead, I write about them. I write why I feel a certain way and what I wish could be different. I personally find embracing depression and letting my feelings and thoughts go crazy until my mind clears and I can think rationally again. Because of this, I stress the importance of finding a quiet place or personal space from others. It’s time that can be used to think about stuff or possible rational solutions to a problem. If all fails, start from the beginning with “at least I’m alive.” This leads me to my next way to cope with depression and anxiety. If one is not satisfied or cannot find a solution to their problems, then another option is self-discovery.  This could mean to find time away from everything to clear one’s mind or physically migrating to a place with more possibilities for opportunity. I did this several times where I sat by myself outside in my backyard and told myself I didn’t like who I was or where I was at and how I wanted to change things I didn’t like about myself. I wanted to change my attitude, appearance, and my overall self-image. There’s nobody to tell you that you can’t. If there is such a person, they are toxic and would be essential to eliminate them from one’s life or find ways to get away from them. If they aren’t contributing to one’s success then their presence, attention and opinions are not needed. Moreover, I found listening to others that did not work towards my success to be emotionally insecure deep inside. There is a possibility one can talk and try to discover or resurface the negatively impacting individual’s vulnerabilities for the reasons they are insecure; however, this takes patience, rationality, and lots of understanding. It’s seems natural that others also want attention and to also be understood, that is if they aren’t completely mental (like some who have Asperger’s syndrome). It’s also important to realize nobody can change anybody; it’s always up to the other individual to change. Moving on, it’s important to also eliminate bad habbits caused by low self-esteem or the stress of depression or anxiety. Acting on behalf of one’s negative emotional responses can lead to negative action such as bad habbits like drugs, alcohol, smoking, addiction to sex, abuse, or physical harm. In addition, it’s obvious drugs and antidepressants are not the solution for a psychological problem. This would only be a temporary fix. Antidepressants can also result in negative changes to neural activity that could result in negative side effects if the treatment isn’t followed properly. Another possible problem is that anxiety can lead to negative bodily responses, such as panic attacks which could then lead to many other bodily or potential psychological problems. For example, extreme panic attacks can affecting your nerves in your stomach causing problems keeping food in your stomach. It seems possible that the result of depression or anxiety could lead to many psychologically influenced medical problems. Now that I have stated various ways to cope with depression and anxiety, I shall finally address my primary, most important, and most effective method to combatting depression and anxiety.  The best way, or should I say the secret, to combat depression and anxiety is to stay productive and work towards a goal in life. Have a realistic and functional plan to achieve your goals. The more you achieve, the less you’ll feel depressed or have the feeling of anxiety, the more you will feel productive, positive and perhaps even inspirational to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment