Saturday, January 10, 2015

My Philosophy of Death and My Burial


Tick tock, tick tock. My life is a clock. One day it’ll stop. The tickers will lock. Until then tick tock, tick tock.
I see death as a closing of a book. It is not only a book to be missed but to be celebrated for it has been finally finished. As it may correspond to one's life, the journey of life possibly continues into the next life. My philosophy on death is at the least controversial. The reason being is this: While often people fear death, I embrace it. The reason I embrace it is because I believe if one is living in the moment, does their best to live with a clear conscious and is doing good and helping others then there is nothing to regret. However, I do share a concern. I don’t fear death, I fear the way I die. If possible it would be a grace to die of old age. It is also my desire that I die in peace and knowing the truths of all that life has hidden. It would be even more than a grace, or a miracle even, to die having achieved all my goals in life. Moreover, my philosophy of death shares a controversial meaning because I believe in the possibility to both going to heaven and also become nonexistent. By this I mean I believe in the possibility of a creator, shared by my respect to faith, which opens the desire to strive to go to heaven. At the same time, I see the world scientifically and therefore carry the idea that when we die, the body eventually decomposes and one’s presence on Earth is eventually forgotten. Although this may seem unsettling to some, I don’t see it in a way that should affect one’s present life. In addition, I have taken the time describe how I personally would like to be buried. Putting fantasies aside by being cryogenically frozen and launched into outer space with an unbreakable casket, I would like to be buried in such a way that almost seems mystical. I would like to be buried away from any grave yard. Away from civilization. At a remote location. I would love to be buried in a large field of white flowers with a cherry blossom tree in the middle of the field. I want to be buried under the cherry blossom tree. I desire the phrase, “Do what is right, common sense and in the promotion of social harmony” written on the tombstone. Inside my coffin, I would like to be buried with a book of my greatest achievements, art, and if possible, my life’s stories. I think it would be best to laminate the pages so that they are well preserved. I would also like to be buried with a journal if I ever I walk the Shikoku pilgrimage in Japan. I have to state that my passion derived from Asia at a young age and should resemble such a way in my burial place. In the end of my journal, I would like a card with the phrase “Live life creatively and with imagination”. The card resembles a passing phrase one writes before one dies in the Japanese culture. I would like this card to be given to all my family members and friends around the world both present and past. I think such a burial would be beautiful and very rewarding. Nevertheless, if I die and nothing is to come of my dream burial, I’m sure it won’t bother me; however, I do request being buried with the following I have mentioned along with a card given to all my family and friends. Moving on, I think it would be a joy to celebrate my passing with a large dinner. In addition, I would like to state life is too short to be holding grudges. I hope the older one gets, the more they will understand the values of life. Once a person is gone, it is too late to spend time with them or make things right. Therefore, it’s a good idea to do one’s part while the other individual is still alive, because once one passes, all one can do is let go. After all, part of love is letting go is it not?

No comments:

Post a Comment