Saturday, January 10, 2015

My View and Use of Art


When I see an art piece, I think of more than an image. I try to get into the artists mind. I try to feel what the artist feels. I observe the quality and manner in which the artist create the details of their work. If an artist designs a painting, I explore the painting. For example, if an artist paints an environment, I try to imagine what it would be like to roam around and interact with the environment. I try to imagine being in the environment and thinking what it would be like inside this new strange or unknown world. The feel of the temperature on my skin, the feel of texture in my hand, the aromas, the feeling of height, and the sense of scale. Because of this, I absolutely love concept art for movies and games. If I may quickly state, it’s with certainty that it’s all within the realm of imagination. I guess it’s safe to say one can both live in the imagination of their mind and in the real world. Or, perhaps it’s because I have such a vivid imagination. Another example can be of a portrait of a person. There’s a saying an image is worth a thousand words. It’s the thousand words that I look for within the image. I try to look for expression, culture, heritage, historical life style, any feeling of mysticism. Often when I’m driving around, I’m always looking at everything that has cultural value. The reason is there is always some sort of applied design. For example, a street signs make use of colors, text, and shape which portrays symbolic meaning. Another example is when I’m walking around the grocery store. I notice the details on a magazine, the labels on a product, or the theme of the store. I take notice of the use of texture, patterns, lines, angles, scale, proximity, contrast, space, font type, repetition, alignment, flow, rhythm, lighting, shadows, what sticks out, what captures my attention, what makes the image move, the feeling in the use of color, how it makes me feel and how it moves me. I think by observing these elements, I not only can utilize its functionalities, I can find ways to make my own art more visually appealing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment